Single Subject Credentialed Teacher Math/Science
About our school: YouthBuild Charter School of California (YCSC) is a public school, chartered by the
Inyo County Superintendent of Schools, dedicated to providing an effective alternative education for youth
who have not succeeded in traditional school settings. Students come to YCSC to earn a high school
diploma and to develop a number of personal skills that will equip them for productive, fulfilling futures.
Our approach to education is competency-based; students are guided through a process that results in
relevant demonstrations of learning through presentations and projects that demonstrate mastery of state
standards. Our instructional strategy is project-based and interdisciplinary, with authentic assessments
designed by our teachers.
Our belief in the value of youth as leaders and agents of change in their communities are rooted in the
nationally acclaimed YouthBuild program model. Students at YCSC are 16-24 year-old participants in one
of several local YouthBuild programs in California. Teachers at YCSC provide students with a classroombased high school curriculum that values the culture and aspirations of youth while understanding the
challenges that students face in under-resourced communities. Currently we provide the education
program at 16 YouthBuild programs in California. We are looking for teachers who are creative, flexible,
progressive, and who truly care about youth who have not done well in traditional school settings.
- Prepare monthly and weekly lesson plans, based on course outlines and project design templates
developed by YCSC teachers.
- Teach five classes per day throughout the school year.
- Implement appropriate tools to assess, document and report student progress, on a schedule to be
determined in coordination with YCSC.
- Review and recommend necessary and appropriate materials and equipment. 5. Assess students’
need for special tutoring as necessary.
- Work and coordinate with other staff to incorporate practical academic learning experiences related to
Life Skills, Leadership, Vocational Skills and other appropriate subjects.
- Identify and provide opportunities in the classroom for students to demonstrate Leadership skills.
- Participate in at least one community service project per month; attend workshops and conferences as
- Inform Case Management and other appropriate staff of student issues that affect student
- Review, evaluate, monitor, report and document student attendance and progress, including entering
student data into School Pathways in the absence of an on-site registrar.
- Maintain individual confidential student educational files including work samples, lesson plans,
educational progress, attendance sheets and educational service plans.
- Maintain student portfolios as per the YCSC assessment rubric.
- Attend all staff professional development opportunities, as scheduled.
- Monitor student progress in the attainment of the High School Diploma
- California Single-Subject Credential in a Single Subject.
- One year of teaching experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; masters is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to engage young people from “at risk” conditions in meaningful, interesting and
creative learning experiences.
- Experience in administration of assessment tools.
- Experience in curriculum/lesson planning and development.
- Experience in/knowledge of developing individualized educational plans.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to team-teach and work effectively as a part of a team in inter-disciplinary projects.
- Sincere desire to assist young people to succeed, develop self-confidence and become effective
community leaders; familiarity with various challenges and issues faced by youth from low-income
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision and manage competing priorities.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making effective decisions and in problem solving.
Salary and Benefits
Salary and Benefits Salary range $51,500-$75,000 plus benefits, based on qualification and
experience. Position is full-time; year round, with paid training and preparation time before the school
year begins. Position open until filled.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter. And proof of credential. Please include San Diego
English/Social Studies Teacher in subject line. Please email to: email@example.com
We will screen all applicants and select candidates whose qualifications seem to meet our needs. We will
carefully consider your application during the initial screening